Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Thoughts at the End of my I-search

The closer I get to finishing my i-search, the more I realize that cooking kicks ass! Yes, doing this project was hard at times (especially when I had to look up chefs, their histories, and the awards they’ve won) but I’ve learned so much. Before this project, I thought the only way to get recipes was going through one of my mom’s ancient cookbooks. There are not just cookbooks! There are blogs, magazines, and TV shows! People even print recipes back of boxes!

I know I want to have a career that involves cooking when I grow up. The recipes that are created, the history of the food, and even the cooking itself is all so interesting and fun to me. I thought I was going to write a cookbook as part of my career, but now my options seem endless! I could have a cooking show; I could work at a food magazine; or I could even just keep on blogging about food (the love of my life) until I turn 80!

Food is so important. And I don’t think people realize how important it really is. I’m not talking about just bread or meat or the plain food we need to survive. During this project I got to really think about where food comes from and what it takes to be able to work with food (to be a chef) and for the first time, I got to find out the answers to all my questions. Food is not just something we need to survive. Food can be turned into a popular gift or even a work of art.

Food has even been known to define hierarchy! I’m not talking about who’s in charge of whom in the kitchen. In the past, only the wealthy could afford good food. You wouldn’t see a rich family eating the same food that a poor family would. A poor man might eat plain bread while a rich man might be eating roast pig or whatever they ate back then. Food is amazing! Everyone eats it and everyone needs to appreciate it more. This project gave me an opportunity to appreciate food and to be creative in writing my own blog. Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment